Since this was my first project, I wanted to create something that reminded me of some of the games I played growing up. Furthermore, I wanted to focus on the basics of Unity and C# for this project. Therefore, I took advantage of the Unity store for many of the assets in the game.
After an extensive 40 hours of working on this game, I had learned quite a lot. First, I spent more time optimizing the user experience of the game than I did actually making the game. Furthermore, it is remarkably inspiring to experience first-hand, the wealth of knowledge and resources that are available to learn something new online. I honestly couldn’t have done it without the outstanding documentation provided through Unity Technology and YouTube. I had also learned what it takes to take a game from conception and ideation to submitting a game on the Apple App store.
Although I didn’t fail in many places during this development, I did struggle in trying to make some of the basic stuff to work. One of the most difficult things I had with was improving the touch interaction with the player ship. I never felt comfortable with the way the ship responded to the player interactions. After spending some time on it, I agreed to come back to this issue at a later time.
Another area I had wished I did a better job at was making the graphics and visual style of the game more concise. I had the intent of mimicking the style of games like Crossyroad but came short of that goal. Perhaps in a later iteration, I will come back to this.