Group Size:Just me!
Tools:Pencil and Paper
Pencil and Paper Sketching
The solution is similar to Tinder, but to connect to college students to exercise and play sports together. I identified that some college students are not exercising because they don't know how and are nervous to go alone. I propose and test a solution that connects college students based on their availability and location to exercise together.
Today, many college students exercise by participating in an organized sport. This creates a sense rigidness and longterm commitment that does not fit within a student’s irregular schedule. In addition to this, intermural games do not consider the skill level of all players which makes it difficult for students to enjoy playing with similarly skilled people.
- Doesn't have much time but his favorite form of exercise is playing basketball and soccer
- Has tried intramurals but has to miss a lot of games and feels bad for his team.
- Enjoys meeting new people when he plays.
- Used to play sports in high school and college but stopped after transferring schools.
- Considers herself to be really good at certain sports. Wishes she could play with others of similar skill.
- Has a hard time finding other girls to play with. Sometimes guys don't want to play with her because she's a girl.
- Has trouble sticking to an exercise regimen. But sometimes plays sports when invited.
- Whenever his friends want to play sports, Sam isn't able to.
- Tried intramurals but is turned away from them because of the upfront costs to play.
My design process has been anything but linear. I followed an iterative process which allowed me to try a lot of designs often. By following key principals from a participatory design method, I was able to involve users and receive constant feedback in order to improve my final solution.
Quick-Up was designed with one primary thing in mind–help the user find and play a game faster. The main functionality of the application is the ability to either join a pick-up game that someone else created or create one that is specific to their needs. When searching to join a game, it considers the distance of the game, when it was created and how many players needed.
Based on the original problem statement, I sketched out different solutions that would help students exercise easier. Using these sketches, I interviewed potential users and got their feedback on each story.
Pivot and Iterate
This is where I converged my problem statement because after talking with peers, I had discovered that my focus was too broad for a single solution. So I pivoted and tested new statements and prototypes with my users.
The result of the previous paper sketches and interaction with my users. I used this paper prototype to test it with users.
High Fidelity Prototype
I learned a lot from testing my prototypes with my users. In sum, I learned that users need more variety to how many users they wish to play with and also ability to add minimum and a maximum amount of players. I also learned that users wanted a social profile to know who they were playing with.
The biggest change I made was incorporating a more informative social profile into my solution. At the beginning of my process, I had brushed the idea of social profiles because I was creating an application for people to play sports, not to date.
Another major finding was the idea of implementing skill levels. When discussing and brainstorming with potential users, they mentioned that they refrain from playing sports because they don’t know who they can play with because of their skill level.
Another area that had major changes was adding monetary incentives for people to exercise. Which I ultimately dropped. Although a sound idea, my research with users gave me the opposite findings.
Overall, the biggest problem I faced was early on in my process. My problem statement targeted too large of a population with various backgrounds. Therefore, I had to take a step back and focus on a narrower problem statement.
My Role as a Designer
The three areas of my design philosophy that I kept up with in my design process were, focus on user needs, avoid user’s frustrations and try to eliminate my own biases.
The one key ideology that stayed true, was that I had to understand my users before I could design for them.
Avoidants and Failures
Some things that had to be avoided were, creating solutions where users would be socially judged, exercising/playing alone, and getting bored with repetitive tasks.
I also had to try to avoid any of my own bias because that would interfere with the results of the project. Which I had failed. So I iterated and learned. Monetary rewards didn't work. Additionally, I had to keep in mind that I am not my users and I cannot design for myself.
My goal was to create a solution that got students to exercise to lower their risk of cardiovascular disease. I realized that after testing my final prototype, that there is an additional impact. That exercise could be fun and easy. With further development of this project, I would focus on the testing the current features with more users.