Micro-Projects

I believe that to be a successful well-versed designer, it's best to understand and explore the complexities of other disciplines as well.

Goal of This Page

This section will focus on smaller projects that I worked on which I'm proud of but didn't quite make it to the front page.

Re-Evaluating Amazon's Privacy Design

Summary:

For this project I reviewed literature in protection of privacy principles and analyzed Amazon.com through a privacy-centric lens and their privacy control settings. I then introduce a new central page for controlling privacy settings in order to improve the transparency and intervenability of a person's Amazon account.

Read more about it on my medium post

Interaction Prototype Video

Workday™: Mini-Case Study

Summary:

I created a visual that highlights how the account creation process makes the user-experience difficult and what can be done to improve it. I propose a simple solution using usability heuristics and design standards as some guidelines. See gifs of the problem and the final solution.

Read more about it on my medium post

Current Problem

A gif of the problem of creating an account with no password information.

Proposed Solution

the soltuon by using design usability heuristics

The Problem

The problem is that Workday’s account creation system makes understanding the password requirements very difficult by hiding them until a user fails to enter the correct password structure. This leads the user to spend additional time and enter the password again. In sum, it's frustrating to enter a complex password twice!

The Solution

Using basic usability heuristics (eg. Neilson Heuristics and The Understanding Group's Heuristics) and design standards, presenting the required information (eg. password requirements) and password strength upfront will reduce errors which can reduce frustration, improve the speed of the form submission and reduce abandonment.

Sketches

A sketch I made of the current login screen. Used my Microsoft Surface and Pen.
A sketch I made of how I envision the proposed solution would look like. Used my Microsoft Surface and Pen.

Final Screens with Comments

By providing informational indicators and showing the status of the system, maybe you too can avoid errors!
An informational guide of requirements goes a long way. Especially for users that have no guidance and have to guess the requirements.
A simple checkmark solves the issue of having to remember if the keys they entered were exactly the same as the previous complex password requirement.

Super Fruit Fighter

Description:

A retro style top-down shooter without any fluff. A game that combines never-ending fruit to shoot and bad alien ships that are targeting you!

Screens:

Version 1 Screenshot of Version 1 of the game. Pretty plain with only one fruit to destroy.
Version 2. Another Screenshot with added more fruit and enemy ships to defend against. Added a better background and some nice trees.
Version 2. Another Screenshot with added more fruit and enemy ships to defend against. Added a better background and some nice trees.
Version 2. Another Screenshot with added more fruit and enemy ships to defend against. Added a better background and some nice trees.

Goal:

Since this was my first project, I wanted to create something that reminded me of some of the games I played growing up. Furthermore, I wanted to focus on the basics of Unity and C# for this project. Therefore, I took advantage of the Unity store for many of the assets in the game.

Learned Objectives:

After an extensive 40 hours of working on this game, I had learned quite a lot. First, I spent more time optimizing the user experience of the game than I did actually making the game. Furthermore, it is remarkably inspiring to experience first-hand, the wealth of knowledge and resources that are available to learn something new online. I honestly couldn’t have done it without the outstanding documentation provided through Unity Technology and YouTube. I had also learned what it takes to take a game from conception and ideation to submitting a game on the Apple App store.

Pain Points:

Although I didn’t fail in many places during this development, I did struggle in trying to make some of the basic stuff to work. One of the most difficult things I had with was improving the touch interaction with the player ship. I never felt comfortable with the way the ship responded to the player interactions. After spending some time on it, I agreed to come back to this issue at a later time.

Another area I had wished I did a better job at was making the graphics and visual style of the game more concise. I had the intent of mimicking the style of games like Crossyroad but came short of that goal. Perhaps in a later iteration, I will come back to this.